MetLife is committed to promoting a more secure future for individuals, families, and communities around the world. The Company demonstrates its commitment to operating responsibly through the security MetLife provides customers, the claims MetLife pays during times of need, its activities and investments in the communities that the Company serves, and MetLife’s long-term investments in the broader economy. Sustainability is about managing business and responsibly delivering long-term value for all stakeholders. For MetLife, sustainability is about achieving a positive societal impact while improving the long-term sustainability of the Company.
In 2019, MetLife built out its newly created sustainability function and developed a comprehensive strategic approach to environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues. These priorities were determined based on input from institutional shareholders and other external stakeholders, research into leading practices, benchmarking of peer companies, and feedback from employees and business leaders at MetLife, among others. The result is a strategic focus that enhances the value propositions for stakeholders, supports the Company’s corporate purpose statement, enhances the MetLife brand, and supports its businesses. MetLife’s sustainability efforts emphasize its role as:
- A responsible investor, managing a long-term, value-creating portfolio, and embedding ESG principles in its decision-making;
- A market leader in insurance and financial services, providing specialized products, services, and solutions tailored to the specific needs of each market to provide financial health, protection, and opportunity;
- A preferred employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, gender equality, and employee well-being;
- A responsible steward of the environment, dedicated to reductions in waste, energy use, and GHG emissions, and an increase in Renewable Sources of Energy; and
- A force for good through philanthropy and volunteerism, contributing millions of dollars and more than 100,000 hours of employee time to building and supporting communities.
With long-term yet tangible priorities defining our ambition, and champions across our organization cultivating sustainability principles in their decision making, sustainability at MetLife creates value, advances inclusive behavior, protects our shared environment and society, and ultimately, helps build a more confident future for all.